05 June, 2015

REVIEW: THE HEIR by Kiera Cass


SPOILERS OF THE PREVIOUS SELECTION BOOKS
Title: The Heir
Author: Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection #4
Genres: YA, Science Fiction, Romance
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: Kindle Edition
Pages: 342

Add to GoodReads // Buy on BookDepository

SYNOPSIS: Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon—and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has no interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long as possible.
But a princess's life is never entirely her own, and Eadlyn can't escape her very own Selection—no matter how fervently she protests.

Eadlyn doesn't expect her story to end in romance. But as the competition begins, one entry may just capture Eadlyn's heart, showing her all the possibilities that lie in front of her . . . and proving that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought.

Whoa I had so many expectations for this book... I loved the first three books of The Selection series (well, actually the first and third because the second was just a nope) but anyway I had also read a lot of critics: the book was not deep enough, Eadlyn was a tiny whiny spoiled brat, blah, blah so I had no idea if I would love it or dislike it. It really takes a lot for me to hate a book so dislike always fits better.

I'll just begin by addressing the critics I had read. I am aware that these a other people's opinions and I respect them but I disagree in many parts with the majority...

THE WORLD: The world is very similar to that of the first three books of The Selection series. After a IV World War the US disrupted and now they are separated in smaller "states" (now US is called Illéa) all under the control of an Absolute Monarchy, meaning the Royal Family holds every power of the country and rules however they please. Just one thing has changed in The Heir which is that people are not separated in castes anymore and are now equal... in theory.

THE CHARACTERS: In this book the main character is Eadlyn Schreave, daughter of Maxon Schreave and America Singer who we met in the first three book when they were undergoing their own selection. So many people complain about Eadlyn! I get why though because I do think she is spoiled but it makes sense because she was born a princess and future queen of Illéa so obviously she doesn't actually know what suffering is or common problems such as not having enough money or food for your children, working extra hours for a misery, not having an education, etc. thus she comes across as bitchy and harsh... which leads me to the next point where some others say that she treats the poor selected boys very badly and I also agree but, yet again, I understand why she does it. She is the future queen, she has been "training" for it her whole life, she has no interest in getting married (at least not yet) so yeah you go Eadlyn, show them girl. How would you feel if you didn't want to get married and suddenly your parents decide to give you a push and hand you in 35 boys who you know nothing about and will all live under the same roof as you? (a lot of you will probably feel like that's heaven... not me, I would probably be as bitchy as Eadlyn)
Enough about Eadlyn, yes she is a bit bratty but I understand her point. Now moving on to the other characters we have Maxon and America aka Maxerica (I SHIP IT!) who are as awesome as they were in the first three books except for making her daughter go through a selection she doesn't want, Eadlyn's brothers Ahren, Kaden, and Osten who are all cutie pies and quite wise... I like their friendly relationship with Eadlyn... and finally we have the selected boys who I must say none of the described ones caught my eye. I'm disappointed but oh well probably I like Kile Woodwork (Marlee Tames and Carter Woodwork's son) the most and I have a feeling Eikko (aka Erik) is going to... I don't know but something about Erik smells fishy. He's the translator of Henry Jaakoppi, a candidate from Swendway, who only speaks Finnish.

PLUS: Hhmm I have to think about this one... major pluses were Eadlyn (I quite like her sorry not sorry), all of the Schreave boys, Maxerica, aaaannnddddd also Kile because he has a bit of sass but he's sweet at the same time.

MINUS: The ending! KIERA CASS HOW DO YOU DARE FINISHING THE BOOK LIKE THAT? *throws major tantrum* Kiera I am mad at you, you better fix this and do it quick! ah and also a minus is Erik because I have a feeling he's trouble... I don't know but I just can't stand him...

OVERALL: Entertaining. 4 stars because I prefer Maxon and America's selection although this is only the first book of Eadlyn so I am expecting much more for the next one... I want to see more character development and more descriptions about Eadlyn's brothers! There was barely anything written about them in this one :(


I'm sure you have a lot to say about THE HEIR, what did you think?