04 August, 2015

REVIEW: WHITE HOT KISS by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Title: White Hot Kiss
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: Dark Elements #1
Genres: Fantasy, Paranormal, YA
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Source: Physical copy
Pages: 400

Add to GoodReads // Buy on BookDepository

SYNOPSIS: Seventeen-year-old Layla just wants to be normal. But with a kiss that kills anything with a soul, she's anything but normal. Half demon, half gargoyle, Layla has abilities no one else possesses.

Raised among the Wardens—a race of gargoyles tasked with hunting demons and keeping humanity safe—Layla tries to fit in, but that means hiding her own dark side from those she loves the most. Especially Zayne, the swoon-worthy, incredibly gorgeous and completely off-limits Warden she's crushed on since forever.

Then she meets Roth—a tattooed, sinfully hot demon who claims to know all her secrets. Layla knows she should stay away, but she's not sure she wants to—especially when that whole no-kissing thing isn't an issue, considering Roth has no soul.

But when Layla discovers she's the reason for the violent demon uprising, trusting Roth could not only ruin her chances with Zayne… it could brand her a traitor to her family. Worse yet, it could become a one-way ticket to the end of the world.


This book was the first installment into Dark Elements series which I was reading as read along. However, because I got really sick I could not keep up with the read along anymore. BUT it does not mean that I am going to abandon these great books! I am reading them people and I am reading them hard!



Beyond the fact that is has everything according to Cody I did not really know anything about this book. So you can imagine my face when I got myself into the war between Demons and Wardens and all crazy magic stuff. Like whoah what is happening here? And the drama! No high school level here I tell you!


THE WORLD: There is a human world, a heaven above and the hell beyond. The demons from the Hell want to take human souls and the Wardens sorta sent from the Heaven have a duty to kill these demons and protect humans. So all in all, stupid naive humans are pain in the ass for everybody! Hehe.

CHARACTERS: The main character Layla, yes that is her name. I will never get over it, I mean I am very sorry Jennifer L. Armentrout I think you are brilliant author but the names you give your characters...just a massive no no. Alright, so Layla is not human. She is part demon part warden. I know right? A demon woman found herself in bed of the Warden and ended up being knocked up. Well not that simple. Because of who she is Layla considers herself to be a Mule, in other world a black duck in the pond of while swans. And let me tell you, she is whinny. I mean really. Next we have Warden golden boy Zayne (again name???) aka Stony. He is like a brother to Layla and she is in love with him. He is perfect and Layla is not. He has a pure soul and Layla has a dirty demon blood in her. Well you get the picture. But what makes this book really special is Roth!

Oh yes ladies and gentlemen, the so so awww hot demon who is just damn! I love Roth, I am team Roth and there is nothing and I mean NOTHING that could change it! Roth please save me too from big bad wolf!



LOVE: So far really we have only forbidden love between Layla and Roth. However, there are many implications of Zayne being in love with Layla too. But please Zayne go away! The love story of Layla and Roth is just so Romeo and Juliet! It was just so so perfect and as a bonus content in first book you get a chapter on POV of Roth when he falls in love with Layla and....aww guys if you do not have it in your book let me know and I will scan it for you! It was really the book that had that love story which you will never forget!

PLUS: Again as I just mentioned this book has really good love story. To be honest the whole plot for me was a little bit slow and not THAT interesting if not for the love story. It is really really that good.

MINUS: The Wardens. The Alphas. I mean should not guys sent from heaven be nice and good? It is just like Clave from The Mortal Instruments I am telling you. If I had to choose between Demons and Wardens I would always choose Demons. I actively hate Wardens.

MINUS II: The ending! Omg what was that!!!



EXTRA: It has been a few days since I finished this book and I know I had much more to say than just this but take me on it and please read this book! It is very entertaining and you will not be disappointed, maybe the plot is not the perfection as I hoped but the love story will make up to it I promise!


What do you guys think about WHITE HOT KISS?





6 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed it! Roth really doesn't compare to anyone else, huh? Can't wait to see your thoughts on the next books! :)

    ~Erika @ Books, Stars, Writing. And Everything In Between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did, I know I have poured alot of critic here but in the end it was good! And yessss team Roth!

      Delete
  2. Your GIF selection is so great haha. I loved White Hot Kiss. I just finished Every Last Breath, and I wasn't the biggest fan of the ending. But you're right about the romance; it is the best part of this series.

    Sarah @ The Reading Petal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no I am really worried to read next book and the last one...I hope I will like the final ending!

      Delete
  3. I love this review! Completely agree with everything you said, the story and wardens were just 'meh' but the romance is just so consuming and makes the book.. and Roth's POV at the end? *swoons swoons swoons* I adore your Stitch gif, it's exactly my face during the ending! Be prepared for some surprises in Stone Cold Touch ;) you're gonna die argh <3
    Cody @ Literary-ly Obsessed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww ya are so sweet! It is official, I finished Throne of Glass last night and starting Stone Cold Touch now!

      Delete