29 October, 2015

REVIEW: SCARLET by Marissa Meyer


Title: Scarlet
Author: Marissa Meyer
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #2
Genres: YA, Fantasy, Science Fiction
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Source: Physical copy
Pages: 452

Add to Goodreads // Buy on BookDepository

SYNOPSIS: Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison--even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.


Alright, so I really really loved Cinder and Scarlet was standing on my shelf since April...and with Winter coming out soon I thought it is time to get back into the series. Plus, the Wolf...I really was excited about meeting him!





THE WORLD: The world in this book is rather confusing for me, it's after the Worth World War but most cities are as we know them: Paris, London are still in Europe. There is also America and Mexico...except for the New Beijing which a capital of Commonwealth. Judging from the names such as Lich and Emperor Kaito I assume it is based in Japan??? Anyways, so we have this world with just common people really. And then there is Luna, yes the moon. The lunars are special, they are rules by sadistic narcissist Queen Levana who does it by mind manipulations. Yes, lunars can manipulate some waves to make you do and see whatever they wanted you to. The Queen Levana wants the Earth for herself and so the politics begin... it's weird if you ask me, she is all that powerful and lunars are all crazy powerful so why Luna is still shitty planet covered in dust and why they haven't invaded the Earth years ago. Bit funny, makes no sense really.

Anyways, in this book we concentrate on Europe, little city somewhere not far from Paris. Well really a farm there. I have a huge problem with dimensions in this book, one moment Cinder is in space somewhere away from earth, then we in Commonwealth and then suddenly we are between Paris and that little town. I have to admit, many times it took me awhile to set my mind where we are. In the end I just feel like all happened in one place and my brain just ignores all others spaces.

CHARACTERS: This book is called Scarlet and it should be about this girl called Scarlet aka Red Ridding-hood but if you ask me, it is just another book about Cinder with a weak side story. But alright, let's pretend it is not. So Scarlet...annoying and boring character. If somebody asked me to describe my impression in three words it would Arrogant Narcissistic Somebody. Yes, sadly her character does not make me want to remember her name. As her male we get Wolf. Oh how I was excited to meet him and was smashed in the face with disappointment. That was not a character, there was no development whatsoever. It feels like when you see a 2D picture not even in color. Jup, I could love you Wolf I could...Same happened for me to Cinder, I really liked her in the first book, she was so refreshing but in this book she is just another Tris to me, I was tempted to skip her chapters at some point. But biggest pain in the ass was Kai...what is wrong with this sad perversion of man? Disgusting is the only thing that comes to my mind. I think that is all, if there others I think the fact that I do not remember them says a lot...especially when I finished the book half an hour ago.


LOVE: So there is this supposed love between Scarlet and Wolf...if you ask me it was just something way too forced. I still don't know what happened on the train...did they have sex? Or did they just make out? See what I mean? It's all "huh".

PLUS: I don't know. I really did not like this book!

MINUS: Additionally to what I already said, what are these Wolf things? Dunno, I expected more.


What do you guys think about SCARLET?