31 January, 2016

REVIEW: END OF DAYS by Susan Ee

Title: End of Days
Author: Susan Ee
Series: Penryn & the End of Days #3
Genres: YA, Fantasy, Angels
Publisher: Skyscape
Source: Kindle Edition
Pages: 344

Add to GoodReads // Buy on BookDepository

SYNOPSIS: End of Days is the explosive conclusion to Susan Ee’s bestselling Penryn & the End of Days trilogy. After a daring escape from the angels, Penryn and Raffe are on the run. They’re both desperate to find a doctor who can reverse the twisted changes inflicted by the angels on Raffe and Penryn’s sister. As they set off in search of answers, a startling revelation about Raffe’s past unleashes dark forces that threaten them all.

When the angels release an apocalyptic nightmare onto humans, both sides are set on a path toward war. As unlikely alliances form and strategies shift, who will emerge victorious? Forced to pick sides in the fight for control of the earthly realm, Raffe and Penryn must choose: Their own kind, or each other?

The conclusion to the series! I loved the first book and the second one was actually quite good considering that second books are usually the weakest so obviously my expectations for the last book are high! I hoped for a happy ending because I'm a sucker for happy endings. It was bittersweet... but fitting.


THE WORLD: Guess? Still the same world. We get to visit the Pit though! That was an interesting part.

CHARACTERS: At the beginning we still have Penryn, Paige, Mom, Raffe, Obadiah, Beliel, and Uriel but as the story continues we start getting rid of some characters and getting to know new ones, such as Raffe's Watchers, The Fallen, call them whatever. They play a major role although they're introduced a bit in a rush, they seem nice though.
I think in this book Penryn seems a bit more vulnerable. We get to see her in a more human way than just a fighter which was interesting and refreshing. Raffe is still perfect, when is he not perfect? Paige is not playing a major role anymore which was weird because she was supposed to be a savior blah blah but she doesn't have much weight in the story until the very end, in the final battle. Penryn's mom... oh boy she's still crazy but sane at the same time, it's so confusing! and she's still badass oh yeah even the Hellions (little demons) are afraid of her.
Finally, I want to talk about Beliel because he's the antagonist and the bad guy in the first two books but in this book we know his story, we get to know why he was so angry, why all that pain... I have to say that I pitied him after knowing all he had gone through. A jerk, but an understandable jerk.

LOVE: It's not spoiler anymore, is it? I think everyone knows that Raffe and Penryn are a thing. It shows in this book although is not central to the story nor it's cheesy. I think it was handled perfectly.

PLUS: Almost the whole book was a plus! Just the part I talk about in the minus was meh but the rest I really really enjoyed reading. I read the book in just 3 hours and a half. I couldn't put it down! I liked that in this last book we get a bit of everything: we get romance, we get fights, we get Penryn and her family looking after each other, we get angel politics, we get the Watchers' story... Yes, we get all! (A book from Raffe's POV or about Raffe's whole story would still be appreciated though)

MINUS: The only minus I have is that there is this one part while preparing for the final battle that I found was extremely boring. Even the battle itself seem to be not that epic in the beginning, then it got better.

OVERALL: 4.5 stars. I really liked the trilogy, actually I'm adding it to my favorites list! It was a really good book and the ending was perfect. It was really bittersweet though, I wanted more... but I understand that an "all happy ending" would be a bit too optimistic in a post-apocalyptic setting.


 


What did you guys think about END OF DAYS?