04 January, 2016

REVIEW: MODERN MONSTERS by Kelley York

Title: Modern Monsters
Author: Kelley York
Series: -
Genres: YA, Contemporary, Romance
Publisher: Entangled: Teen
Source: ARC
Pages: 352

Add to Goodreads // Buy on BookDepository

SYNOPSIS:
Vic Howard never wanted to go to the party. He’s the Invisible Guy at school, a special kind of hell for quiet, nice guys. But because his best friend is as popular as Vic is ignored, he went…

And wished he hadn’t.

Because something happened to a girl that night. Something terrible, unimaginable, and Callie Wheeler’s life will never be the same. Plus, now Callie has told the police that Vic is responsible. Suddenly, Invisible Vic is painfully visible, on trial both literally, with the police, and figuratively, with the angry kids at school. As the whispers and violence escalate, he becomes determined to clear his name, even if it means an uneasy alliance with Callie's best friend, the beautiful but aloof Autumn Dixon.

But as Autumn and Vic slowly peel back the layers of what happened at the party, they realize that while the truth can set Vic free, it can also shatter everything he thought he knew about his life…
I normally do not read much of the contemporary but the blurb of this book got my attention and I was excited to receive an ARC.


A copy of the book was kindly provided to me by the publisher but it does not influence my review in any way!

THE WORLD: Well as it is a contemporary book it really is based in our world with no fancies.


CHARACTERS: Vic is the main character and a narrator of the story. He is rather simple, has problems with his speech and in all in all is a loner. However, his best friend Brett is a party soul and has been on Vic's side since they were little kids. Now, one day Vic gets accused of raping a girl and we get introduced to a few more characters: Autumn and Callie. Later is not much present and is just a normal ordinary girl who got too drunk at the party. Autumn on the other hand becomes Vic's friend. To be honest, Autumn reminded me really much of John Green characters and in particularly Alaska. And if you know my opinion of Looking for Alaska by John Green you can guess that no, I did not like Autumn one bit. It was one of the books which are plot rather than character driven and in a way that was good because somehow not much character developments happened really.

LOVE: Vic suddenly found himself loved by super hot popular kick ass Autumn. Did I use all the world that author uses to describe her? Yeah, pretty much.

PLUS: I actually liked the story even if I did not care much for the characters.

MINUS: My main problem was Vic's mother. I mean okay she has her excuses but really...they are no excuses at all. Just another lausy parent who hides behind endless 'but I...'. Disgusting.

OVERALL: It as an alright read I guess, frankly if somebody asked me about it in half a year I probably would not remember anything other than main story. So that is that. But it was interesting for sure, even tho the twists were obvious.







What do you guys think about MODERN MONSTERS?