22 August, 2016

MONDAY POEM: FIRE AND ICE by Robert Frost



Happy Monday fellow lovers of the literary word! Today we are jumping to the 20th century to read one of the most unique and interesting poem I have ever read! So without further ado:

Today we are reading

FIRE AND ICE by ROBERT FROST




Let's get to know Robert Frost:
Robert Lee Frost (March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963) - was an American poet. He is highly regarded for his realistic depictions of rural life and his command of American colloquial speech. He is one of the most honored and critically acclaimed poets and even won a Pulitzer Prize for poetry. In his poems Frost explores the themes of existence and general emotions of human beings such as: love or loneliness. The surroundings of his poems is usually the rural life of New England. His poem Fire and Ice (which we are reading today) is considered to be one of his most beloved poems, it was published in 1920 and is featured in his Pulitzer winning book New Hampshire. A fun fact, George R.R. Martin has stated that he was partially influenced by this very poem when he chose the name for his book A Song of Ice and Fire.


Fire and Ice
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.



I LOVE this poem! It's so simple yet so unique! I mean who could have thought that usage of such simple words would create such a long lasting poem. While doing my research I noticed that critics share the same opinion that this poem is about the end of the world and in which way would it end - by fire or by ice. I have to say I do enjoy this idea. That a poem as simple as this can hold such a powerful idea and yet make it so  ordinary and mundane - how do you want the world to end by fire or by ice? What is more, I think this poem also evokes your own question of how would you like to die, by burning or by freezing? And I just love the way the poem goes by basically stating that it doesn't matter which you choose because in the end both of them will do the job! Genius! And I do enjoy the fact that Game of Thrones original name is inspired by this poem, I have to admit I did not know it when I read it. But I always had that idea in mind that this poem would go perfect in the show or books because it just totally depicts the story line the show/books are going for now. So for me this poem will always stand together with Game of Thrones! So let's have a little debate shall we? If you had to choose -  fire or ice, what would it be?

Me - I love you Jon Snow, but I'm sorry I have to go with fire. How about you?

What did you think of FIRE AND ICE?