02 August, 2016

REVIEW: MAGIC BITES by Illona Andrews

Title: Magic Bites
Author: Illona Andrews
Series: Kate Daniels #1
Genres: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Vampires
Publisher: Ace
Source: Audiobook
Pages: 260


// Add to GoodReads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB:
Atlanta would be a nice place to live, if it weren’t for the magic…

When the magic is up, rogue mages cast their spells and monsters appear, while guns refuse to fire and cars fail to start. But then technology returns, and the magic recedes as unpredictably as it arose, leaving all kinds of paranormal problems in its wake.

Kate Daniels is a down-on-her-luck mercenary who makes her living cleaning up these magical problems. But when Kate’s guardian is murdered, her quest for justice draws her into a power struggle between two strong factions within Atlanta’s magic circles.

The Masters of the Dead, necromancers who can control vampires, and the Pack, a paramilitary clan of shapechangers, blame each other for a series of bizarre killings—and the death of Kate’s guardian may be part of the same mystery. Pressured by both sides to find the killer, Kate realizes she’s way out of her league—but she wouldn’t have it any other way…

 
I picked up this book randomly first in the library and then had to return it before finishing so eventually I just switched to the audiobook.


 
THE WORLD: Typical Urban Fantasy world - just as we know with an addition of paranormal in it. So basically yeah, we have humans, werewolves, vampires, crazy priests and all that. Cup of tea.

CHARACTERS: Okay for some reason I remember very little of this book even tho I read it about a month ago. Our main character goes by Kate Daniels and she is sort of a magician. Basically she has magic and with some events she comes upon a huge amount of magic. So yeah, I guess magician is the world. Anyways, her guardian dies in the beginning of the book and she sets off to find who killed him. Frankly, I liked Kate. As the name implies she is very simple and down to earth. I mean of course she is a kickass trouble maker like all stereotypical female leads in Urban Fantasy lately but oh well, nobody is perfect I guess. Additional to Kate we have some werewolves, no actually weretiger involved helping her. Well it is more enemy friend relationship but you get the idea. There were also other characters but seriously I cannot really remember them as individuals. Basically this book is very slow in the beginning and then everything happens very fast so yeah...you get the idea.

LOVE:  Yes and no. Tho I would stick more with a no. But it is a first book in a very long serious so I guess we are just getting started.

PLUS: I love wereanimals in paranormal, I used love vampires too but I think right now I prefer wereanimals and we get rather a nice bunch of them in this book.

MINUS: There was some really crazy creepy things going on. Like human monkey babies and all that. Creeeeeepy.

OVERALL: As I already mentioned I have a black out when it comes to this book. All I really know is that I did decide to continue with the series so hopefully next book is going to be more memorable.


 


What did you think of MAGIC BITES?