27 August, 2016

REVIEW: THESE VICIOUS MASKS by Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas

Title: These Vicious Masks
Author: Tarun Shanker, Kelly Zekas
Series: These Vicious Masks #1
Genres: YA, Fantasy, Historical Fiction
Publisher: Swoon Reads
Source: Paperback
Pages: 298

Add to GoodReads // Buy on BookDepository

SYNOPSIS: England, 1882. Evelyn is bored with society and its expectations. So when her beloved sister, Rose, mysteriously vanishes, she ignores her parents and travels to London to find her, accompanied by the dashing Mr. Kent. But they’re not the only ones looking for Rose. The reclusive, young gentleman Sebastian Braddock is also searching for her, claiming that both sisters have special healing powers. Evelyn is convinced that Sebastian must be mad, until she discovers that his strange tales of extraordinary people are true—and that her sister is in graver danger than she feared.
This book was my birthday present by HannahCassie. Thank you girl! It was pretty high on my TBR list because I thought the story had a lot of potential and it does, I liked it a lot.


THE WORLD: We are situated in Victorian London. The world is our normal one but some people have developed special powers via a process called "saltation" (this made me laugh, it's such a Victiorian name for an evolutionary process xD)

CHARACTERS: The main character is Evelyn Wyndham who is tired of high society and expectations. Her sister, Rose, and her "work" as nurses and I say "work" because as high ladies the job of nurse was inconceivable. How could they work curing the ill? No, they had to marry a rich man from a good family. Ugh, society was truly annoying so I immediately connected to Evelyn. Besides, she's funny and loving and a bit snarky unlike Rose who is the perfect, lovely girl everyone expects her to be. In the story Rose is kidnapped and Evelyn goes to London to search for her along her friend Nicholas Kent. I don't know what to think of him... he's okay I guess but I don't care much about him. The guy who introduces Evelyn to people's special powers and explains everything is Sebastian Braddock who I like more than Nicholas to be honest even though he's a bickering cranky old-man-like guy. The banter between these three characters at times cracked me up. Then we get involved in a complicated and crazy science web, it's all about science!

I won't tell you anything else about the plot but it's quite cool. I am very curious about the villain because almost nothing is explained. Can't wait for the second book! 

LOVE: There is a love triangle of sorts. And it's not resolved... although I think Evelyn will choose soon because it's quite clear who she likes more. I think.

PLUS: It was a fun and easy read. I read it smoothly even though I had to study and read other books at the same time. I liked the main characters and the story overall and I loved the superpowers! They're not as original as in other books but they were still really cool.

I also liked the villain. I am very curious about his past... and future actually.

MINUS: I thought some things were quite similar to The Infernal Devices... Victorian London, one strong and sassy girl, two men interested in her one being the "sweetheart" and the other the "bitter" one with a heart of gold, superpowers... it is not EXACTLY like TID but shares some similarities I couldn't overlook.

Also the end is like "whaaaaat?" omg I really hope Evelyn doesn't blame it on [insert character] because it wasn't on purpose! It was an accident :(

OVERALL: 4 stars. Solid start for a series! I am going to wait to read the 2nd book which hopefully will be even better but the story promises.



What did you guys think about THESE VICIOUS MASKS?