18 October, 2016

REVIEW: PRINCE'S GAMBIT by C. S. Pacat

Title: Prince's Gambit
Author: C. S. Pacat
Series: Captive Prince #2
Genres: Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Publisher: Free Online Fiction
Source: Ebook
Pages: 216

Add to GoodReads // Buy on BookDepository

SYNOPSIS: The second novel in the critically acclaimed trilogy from global phenomenon C. S. Pacat—with an all-new chapter exclusive to the print edition.

With their countries on the brink of war, Damen and his new master, Prince Laurent, must exchange the intrigues of the palace for the sweeping might of the battlefield as they travel to the border to avert a lethal plot.

Forced to hide his identity, Damen finds himself increasingly drawn to the dangerous, charismatic Laurent. But as the fledgling trust between the two men deepens, the truth of secrets from both their pasts is poised to deal them the crowning death blow…

Includes a bonus chapter!
Unlike Captive Prince, this book contains less triggers (I think only one scene) so hurray for that. I was worried I was not going to like it but it got better and I actually appreciated more than the first book.


THE WORLD: It starts right where the first book left off, with Vera and Akielos about to go to war.


CHARACTERS: Same as in the first book, the main characters are Damen and Laurent. Damen keeps being the best character and the most loyal problematic fav. Laurent... well, I used to dislike him but I'm starting to like him and omg how? His background story is a bit more explored and I feel sympathetic towards him. I can understand his behavior (more or less). Then we also have some character members of the guard like Jord, who is the only cinnamon roll present in the book, and a few others that are barely present but actually play a big role in the plot (?)

LOVE: You remember I said there was no love in first book? Now there is. It's... a bit disturbing to be honest. I don't ship it exactly but I cannot say I hate it either.

PLUS: Almost no triggers, yay. Just one. I liked how the pace sped up for the majority of the book and how relationships are further explored. Oh oh and how to forget the excursion! That scene was everything I wanted, and the plotwists? great! :D

I still think the major plus is Damen. I have a crush on him okay?

MINUS: The middle of the book, with all the battle preparations was a bit boring to be honest. At first I was like "yay battles and war!" but then it started dragging and dragging... ugh those 3 chapters were unnecessary.

OVERALL: 4 stars. I liked it more than the first book even though the middle was a bit weak and dragged. It's just... so much nicer without triggers. On I go onto the last book!



What did you guys think about PRINCE'S GAMBIT?