05 November, 2016

REVIEW: NOCTE by Cole Courtney

Title: Nocte
Author: Cole Courtney
Series: The Nocte Trilogy #1
Genres: NA, Romance, Thriller
Publisher: Lakehouse Press, Inc
Source: Kindle Edition
Pages: 322

Add to GoodReads // Buy on BookDepository

SYNOPSIS: My name is Calla Price. I'm eighteen years old, and I'm one half of a whole. My other half—my twin brother, my Finn—is crazy. I love him. More than life, more than anything. And even though I'm terrified he'll suck me down with him, no one can save him but me. I'm doing all I can to stay afloat in a sea of insanity, but I'm drowning more and more each day. So I reach out for a lifeline. Dare DuBray. He's my savior and my anti-Christ. His arms are where I feel safe, where I'm afraid, where I belong, where I'm lost. He will heal me, break me, love me and hate me. He has the power to destroy me. Maybe that's ok. Because I can't seem to save Finn and love Dare without everyone getting hurt. Why? Because of a secret. A secret I'm so busy trying to figure out, that I never see it coming. You won't either.
I was recommended this book because it was a kind of mara-dyer-like thriller where you don't really know what's going on. Trust me, you really don't know what's going on. It was dark and confusing.


THE WORLD: Normal Earth. Normal life. Takes place somewhere in the U.S.

CHARACTERS: Calla Price is the main character. She lives with her father and twin brother, Finn, in a mortuary. Literally, her father works as an embalmer and the mortuary is in their house which I think is really creepy. From the beginning we are told that Finn is crazy and has to go to the hospital, to therapy group, a couple times per week and Calla usually drives him. We also find that their mother died in a car accident "because" of Calla. Well, it was just unfortunate. It wasn't her fault. One day in the hospital she meets a mysterious hot guy called Dare DuBray who decides to rent a little house right next to the mortuary. As characters, I have to say none really stood out to me because they are all very frustrating. They have so many secrets! It's very confusing. But I am sure they will develop in the second book. They have to based on the ending *wink wink*

LOVE: There is barely any romantic love. We do see relationships within the family though and a tiny bit of a pairing.

PLUS-MINUS: I don't really know what to say because the craziness is a plus and a minus at the same time. It was so weird. I don't know I just wasn't expecting it to be like that. The end was not that shocking though because I knew something similar was going on but still kind of brilliant. I don't think I really like reading about crazy characters... they're creepy and eerie. I will read the second book and see if I like it. I'm curious about the characters' past events. Also the pacing was odd and slow at times.

OVERALL: 3.5 stars. I enjoyed the plot twist at the end and the awkwardness of not knowing what's going on but that's pretty much it... I will read the next book to see if it gets better.



What did you guys think about NOCTE?