29 January, 2017

REVIEW: HALFWAY TO THE GRAVE by Jeaniene Frost

Title: Halfway to the Grave
Author: Jeaniene Frost
Series: Night Huntress #1
Genres: Paranormal, Vampires, NA
Publisher: Avon
Release: 2007
Source: Audiobook
Pages: 358

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB:
Flirting with the Grave...Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father - the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unholy partnership.
In exchange for finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner - are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her newfound status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side . . . and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.


I love vampire books. Long before Twilight was even released. So when I see a vampire book on my long TBR I feel that push to read it next. Also, this book has been on my TBR for years and lately I have been trying to reduce my TBR by reading books that have been there the longest and seeing if I still have same taste.


THE WORLD: Paranormal. Basically what we by now are used to seeing, the normal our world just with a spice of vampires in it. Also in this book there is hierarchy in the vampire world which I have been missing lately. But other than that it is pretty much what stereotypical vampire books are, I don't mean Twilight style tho. More like what True Blood started.

CHARACTERS: Main character in this story is named Catherine or Cat for short. She is pretty much half human half vampire. I know I know you gonna scream how this is possible if it is not twilight style? Well apparently Cat's mother got raped by a guy who was just turned into a vampire and all his machines for baby making were still working. Don't ask me for details, we are not given more than this in the book. But yeah, so because Cat's mom was raped and I mean this happened in the past we don't actually have a rape scene in the book. So now Cat's mom madly crazy hates vampires and turns a blind eye to the fact that her teenager daughter goes out to the clubs to kill vampires. I mean it is dangerous you know...but yeah mommy of the year. She actually reminded me a lot of these religious fanatics who starts screaming or cover their ears with their hands if you try to talk some sense into them. Frankly, Cat's grandparents are not better either. But let's go back to Cat. So I cannot really say I hated her or something, she was just not very memorable I guess. She was there and now she is a past and if in a month you ask about me I would ask you who is Cat. Next to her we also have a male of course and wait for it.....of course a vampire. His name is Bones jup Bones....original much. But yeah so Bones is this posh vamp who pretty much falls for Cat, this mousy little girl who nobody loves. Blaaaaaaaaah. But my main problem with Bones was that he kinda ordered Cat around, oh and well in audiobook he has this fake British accent which just made me pissed all the time. So yeah bottom line me really does not like Bones.

LOVE: There is kinda a bit or more like a lot of totally unnecessary sex in this book. Like why we needed me I will never understand. I mean yeah we had it in True Blood too but there it made sense...here it's just a page pusher I guess.

PLUS: I don't know I cannot really think of anything. It was an alright book but not the kind that stands out. I saw there are many of them in this series...why?

MINUS: Sex. Bones. Poor little unlocked girl only Bones will ever love me. Also Cat tells Bones about this guy who pushed her into having sex with him for a first time and she just pretended it never happened after. Nice way to teach women to stand up for herself, hrrrr.

OVERALL: So yeah all in all this was not a very good read. I have no idea why it was on my TBR in the first place but even if I read it back when I added it years ago I would not have liked it at all. Not continuing with the series.

What do you guys think about HALFWAY TO THE GRAVE?