17 February, 2017

REVIEW: HORIZON by Sophie Littlefield

Title: Horizon
Author: Sophie Littlefield
Series: Aftertime #3
Genres: Post Apocalypse, Zombie, NA
Publisher: Luna
Release: 2012
Source: Audiobook
Pages: 400

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB:
Cass Dollar is a survivor. She's overcome the meltdown of civilization, humans turned mindless cannibals, and the many evils of man.

But from beneath the devastated California landscape emerges a tendril of hope. A mysterious traveler arrives at New Eden with knowledge of a passageway North—a final escape from the increasingly cunning Beaters. Clutching this dream, Cass and many others decamp and follow him into the unknown.

Journeying down valleys and over barren hills, Cass remains torn between two men. One—her beloved Smoke—is not so innocent as he once was. The other keeps a primal hold on her that feels like Fate itself. And beneath it all, Cass must confront the worst of what's inside her—dark memories from when she was a Beater herself. But she, and all of the other survivors, will fight to the death for the promise of a new horizon….


EXPECTATIONS: After reading Aftertime and Rebirth I went straight away to Horizon. There was just no way I was gonna sit there and wait instead of getting more of the story. I am not joking, I finished the audiobook of Rebirth during work and then I turned on the Horizon and went back to working. No stopping!

THE WORLD: So the story in this book starts a few months after the events of Rebirth. Cass and the rest are living on this island surrounded by water. However opposite to The Box where everybody was trained and their were people guarding from the Beaters on this island people are relaxed. They have no idea how to use a gun or what to do if the Beater comes for them. After all they are protected by water right? Well ain't that a pretty lie. In reality the Beaters started learning things already in previous books: forming groups, planning best hunting ways. Well now Beaters are learning how to swim! Ain't no water gonna stop them from catching you and taking your flesh.

CHARACTERS: Cass....oh boy oh boy. So remember how I had that bad feeling when it comes to her? It turns out I was right. Cass goes back to drinking. She is drowning in self pity. She starts losing it. Ah I used to love her so much, why oh why. Dor and Smoke are also drowning in self pity. But worst was Sammy. We get her POV in this book and OMG can she die now?! Please?! The most arrogant self absorbed teenager bitch ever! I HATE SAMMY SOOOOOO MUUUUUCH! No really, hate hate hate! I am truly passionate about hating her! DIE BITCH! Okay now I am calm. DIE DIE DIE! Okay okay now it's good. Who else? Well nobody really. For some reason this book had a very different set of characters and I mean main characters too. Just felt weird. But I guess we get what we get. I didn't start to love Cass anymore. She just went so low in my eyes that I could not forgive her for breaking my heart. It was too much.

ROMANCE: The love triangle continues. BUT we do finally get a choice and oh lala I am loving it! Yes hell yes! Not saying anything but yeeeeeeessssss go Cass!

GOOD: So this whole idea of Beaters learning things for me is mind blowing. I mean I have read Zombie books before but I have never read something like this! I think it is horror movie material, freaking mind blowing seriously, just imagine it! Are you peeing your pants yet? I know I am.


BAD: So this whole self pity thing was really getting on my nerves. I mean it was an okay ending to amazing series but I expected more. There are some really cool things in this book but unfortunately there are some not so cool either. However, the spoiler prevention kinda stops me from talking about it more.

OVERALL: I was a little bit disappointed with the whole ending. After doing so great I think it went kinda downhill so I only gave it 3 stars. But all in all I think the series in general was great, wish there was more!


What do you think about HORIZON?