27 March, 2017

Monday Travels



Happy Monday friends! Today to are going across the Atlantic for a while to Europe, to explore all the beautiful books, and fol stories and songs of this continent. Our first stop is in the Nordic lands first:

So today we are in Sweden and we will explore:

När som jag var på mitt adertonde år




Swedish Composer Carin Malmlöf-Forssling:
Carin Malmlöf-Forssling (born 1916, d. 2005) was a Swedish organist, choir director and composer. She was born in Gävle, Sweden, and completed her early studies in organ and directing in Uppsala in 1937. She continued her studies in composition with Melcher Melchers from 1941-1943 at the Royal Academy of Music in Stockholm. She graduated with a teaching degree in 1942, and then continued her studies in piano and composition with Nadia Boulanger in Paris. Malmlöf-Forssling completed her education in 1957, and afterward worked as a music teacher and composer.

Lyrics in Swedish:


När som jag var på mitt adertonde år,
det var en vacker gosse som föll uti min håg.
Den tänkte jag förevigt att få äga.
 
Men denna min tanke rätt snarelig försvann,
det var en annan flicka som lades i hans famn.
Den liknar han vid rosende blomma.
 
Nog än jag hållit fader och moder så kär,
samt syskon och vänner, som älskat mig här,
så går dock denna kärlek över alla.
 
Tack för att du varit min endaste tröst
och tack för alla stunder jag vilat vid ditt bröst.
I himmlen skall vi åter bli förenta.


Lyrics in English:


When I was in my eighteenth year
It was a beautiful boy who fell onto my mind
Thee,I thought,to own forever
 
But my thought right away disappeared
It was another girl that was in his arms
Looks like he was in a bloom
 
Enough then,I observed,mother and father do dear
And siblings and friends and all who loved me here
It's,however,this love over all
 
Thank you for being my single consolation
And thanks for all the moments I've been resting on your chest
In heaven we shall be united


Thoughts:


I said it before, that I am absolutely fascinated with traditional folk music of any country. I think the entire history of that nation can fit into one song. What is more, I am from one of the Baltic countries, who a few years ago officially became a part of the Nordic Europe, which I always considered myself to me, since the culture, traditions and ethnography is very similar, so I was always very interested in the Nordic culture and folklore, because I think it's one of the most richest cultures in the world.

This folk song is one of the most beautiful song I have ever heard! It took me a little while to find a good translation in English, and I had to translate a little myself from the translation in Lithuanian I have.

In any case just give it a listen and take in the beautiful voice and the richness of this wonderful song!





See you next Monday!