24 March, 2017

REVIEW: DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS by L.J. Smith


Title: Daughters of Darkness
Author: L.J. Smith
Series: Night World #2
Genres: YA, Paranormal, Vampires
Publisher: Archway Paperbacks
Release: 1996
Source: Printed copy
Pages: 238

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB:
Unearthly Beauty There's something strange about the new girls in town. Briar Creek, Oregon, has never seen anything like the supernatural grace of Rowan, Kestrel, and Jade, three sisters who move into the dilapidated old house next to Mark and Mary-Lynnette Carter. Mark is obsessed with Jade-- but she and her sisters have a secret. And when Mark and Mary-Lynnette follow them into the woods one night, they are plunged into a nightmare beyond their imagination. Because the sisters are fugitives from the Night World, and their brother Ash is hot on the trail behind them. He's ruthless, gorgeous, and he has orders to bring the girls back at all costs. And when he sees Mary-Lynette, he decides to take her too... 



EXPECTATIONS: First of all these covers are so terrible, just look at it. If I saw this in the shop there is no way I would buy it. Fortunately I have three bind ups of this series and each contains three books so I don't have to suffer looking at original covers, the bind ups are black and kinda decent looking. 

THE WORLD: Alright so as the series title indicates it is all about the Night World. Which really is just a world of paranormal existing next to our usual world. Basically we have vampires, werewolves, witches and what not. Now this is not really different to the usual style we are used to except for the witches, usually when it comes to paranormal books that have vampires and werewolves it is pretty rare to see also witches in them. Anyways, presence of witches of course makes me extremely happy. Anyways, as in the the first book of this series we are still following vampires which in my opinion is pretty cool, who does not love themselves some old style fangs? :D

CHARACTERS: I am not sure how many main characters are in this book. We have three sisters Rowan, Kestrel and Jade and then there is their brother Ash and additionally we also have Mark and Mary. To be honest they all play kinda equal role so I am not sure...let's briefly talk about all of them I guess. So the three sisters are pretty similar, they are running from the Night World and discover their aunt dead when they arrive in the small town. Mark and Mary are the neighbors of the aunt and so they meet the new sisters too and discover their secret. Ash on the other hand is coming to get his sisters back to the Night World so they don't get punished. Pretty simple actually except we again get the soulmate nonsense and yeah...let's just say soulmates is apparently the main these of this series and I am not a fan, not at all actually. But all in all, I had no problem with the characters, they did not stand out for me but they were also not annoying. Usual L.J. Smith style I must admit. 

ROMANCE: Soulmates or insta love or love from the first site or one true love...#puke. One thing that L.J. Smith books and The Vampire Diaries TV show apparently has is this soulmates nonsense. I cannot stand it. The romance suddenly becomes the dumbance. 

GOOD: I found this story to be rather simple but enjoyable. If you are under stress all day and just want something light and paranormal this is just a perfect read for it. 

BAD: Again soulmates instalove one true none bullshit. I cannot. I finished reading today the 5th book of the series and I am telling you, soulmates is the topic of this series. Makes me want to puke. 

OVERALL: If you are a fan of L.J. Smith writing style or just relaxing paranormal reads I would really recommend it. There is not much idiocy apart from mentioned soulmates and it does not feel stretched. 

What do you think about DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS?