09 March, 2017

REVIEW: IGNITE by Danielle Rogland



Title: Ignite
Author: Danielle Rogland
Series: -
Genres: Dystopian, Ya, Fantasy, Science Fiction
Publisher: Inkitt
Release: April, 2017
Source: Kindle
Pages: 293
// Goodreads / Amazon //

BLURB:
In the ruins of dystopian London, the Empire rules through fear and fire.

“Everyone knew about ‘The Flames’ and how much trouble they had caused the Empire. They were the only rebel group anyone knew of that had lasted longer than a few months without getting caught, leaving candles behind whenever they snatched somebody out of the Empire’s grasp. To get involved with people like them is stupid. So stupid.”

Ever since her parents were murdered by the empire’s agents, Jacks has been living on the street as a pickpocket trying to keep away from trouble. When she accidentally witnesses the rebel group ‘The Flames’ in the middle of an operation she is unwillingly swept up into their world, and has to decide if she’s going to go back to looking after herself or join the rebellion and help them fight for the people of London Ruins.

She knows that getting involved was stupid, but does she really have a choice?



This ARC was sent to me for an honest review!


EXPECTATIONS: Before going into this I didn't really have any expectations. I kind of figured this was something maybe like The Hunger Games, but I didn't really have any preset emotions before I started reading. If to sum up my entire review I have to say, I did enjoy this book.


THE WORLD: The plot takes place in a future, to be more specific in a city called New London, what is an Empire now, and is ruled by Emperor, Donovon. The city is destroyed, ruins everywhere, no food, no commodities, no luxury. People are either very poor or live in the Emperor Palace and is rather rich. 

Society in this new world is divided into rebellion and people who are generally scared of the Empire or DRT, this sort if police figure. And then there is the DRT world that tries to keep everything on a dictator strings.

CHARACTERS: I have a funny story before we begin with characters. So I started to read this book and the chapters of the book are called by character names just to let us know from whose point of view we will be reading (which is really cool). So the first chapter is called Jacks. Okay so I start to read, I get through the first chapter, and I start to imagine this dark curled hair guy who is a pickpocket and is an orphan and homeless and sees this girl in a store, and tries to help another family and I am really feeling this guy, he sucks me in you know?  Then, the second chapter starts and it's called Corry, and I'm like 'oh OK, so maybe this is the girl Jacks saw in the store - and the first sentence is like - I grabbed her and pulled - or something like that, and I literally put the kindle down and was like, wait, what? Who grabbed who? What's happening?



Guys, I am so ashamed but I have to come clean! I totally thought that Jacks is a dude and Corry is a girl. NOPE. Jacks is a girl and Corry is a guy :D It literally took me like ten minutes to figure this out :D I was sitting just laughing at myself! 

Ok so let's go back to the characters. One of the main characters is Jacks - a teenage girl, who pickpockets for a living. She is kind and even if she doesn't want to, still helps people, because that's just the way she is.


Then we have Corry - a guy who by saving Jacks puts her in the middle of a rebellious group called The Flames (they are called that because they leave candles every time they do something, help someone etc.). I liked Corry a lot, he was a true male protagonist.

Zira - is sort of a group leader, she is super fierce but also has am emotion scar that sometimes doesn't allow her to deal. I have to admit, she was not my favorite character, but again I had nothing against her.

Jeremy was the sarcastic, humor driven guy, who always cleared the tension with his jokes and showed his bravery by defending the ones he loves. 

We also had twins - Finn and Addy (they had other names, cause these were nicknames, but I'm sorry I can't remember them). They are the only two group members coming from the upper class. Finn is a computer genius and Addy, well she does hair and wears a lot of pink.

The main villain of course was Donovon, he was a good villain I think. Another villain of course was the concept of the Empire and the DRT. They tried to control every single thing in people, and that is simply impossible. There were other characters as well but let me discuss that in the Bad section.

ROMANCE: At first I thought this was going to a love triangle story between Corry, Jacks and Zira, because Corry and Jacks kiss each other (again discussing in Bad section). But I was surprised because it wasn't. It is very clearly stated that Corry and Zira are in love and that is consistent in the book.

GOOD: I enjoyed the world that the author created. Truly the detailed descriptions and the vibe it gives you really makes you believe in a world like that. I also enjoyed the character development and the subtle past revealing in the duration of the book. I also liked short chapters.


BAD: There were unfortunately things I didn't like about it as well. Numbering it as usual: 1. Too many character: for a book that is only 293 pages long there too many talking characters. Sometimes I had difficulty to follow who was talking. I understand that it’s difficult to cut them all out but I believe this book could have easily done without some of them. 2. Clichés: there were few of cliché items in this novel that I really did not like, such as: acting in love to get away, when there was literally no danger and a couple of smiles and a kiss between Jacks and Corry convinced the intelligent DRT members. Please. Or the makeovers, Addy is wearing pink, all the time she is always Ok but first let me fix your hair, I’m sorry, you are in a rebellion, and no one cares about your hair. 3. Confusion of names: I like when a female character has a male name, but perhaps there should be more distinction when it’s a female and a male character, because really I got just so confused at the beginning.

OVERALL: It might seen like I didn't like this book but I did really enjoy it :D I think that maybe its suited for a little younger people than myself, but I would definitely recommend it to someone who wanted to read dystopian stories about rebellions.


What do you think about IGNITE?