01 May, 2017

MONDAY TRAVELS: GREENSLEEVES



Happy Monday friends! Following the last weeks vibe for history, we will go few years ahead to Henry VIII times and check out on of the most famous songs ever composed:

So today we are in ENGLAND and we will explore:

GREENSLEEVES TRADITIONAL ENGLISH SONG




Traditional English song Greensleeves:
"Greensleeves" is a traditional English folk song and tune, over a ground either of the form called a romanesca; or its slight variant, the passamezzo antico; or the passamezzo antico in its verses and the romanesca in its reprise; or of the Andalusian progression in its verses and the romanesca or passamezzo antico in its reprise. There is a persistent belief that Greensleeves was composed by Henry VIII for his lover Anne Boleyn. However, the piece is based on an Italian style of composition that did not reach England until after Henry's death, making it more likely Elizabethan in origin.



Song:

Alas, my love, you do me wrong
To cast me off discourteously
And I have loved you oh so long
Delighting in your company
Greensleeves was all my joy
Greensleeves was my delight
Greensleeves was my heart of gold
And who but my lady greensleeves
If you intend to be this way
It does the more enrapture me
And even so I still remain
A lover in captivity
Greensleeves was all my joy
Greensleeves was my delight
Greensleeves was my heart of gold
And who but my lady greensleeves
Greensleeves, now


Thoughts:

I don't really remember where I got this fact that this particular song was composed by Henry VIII for Anne Boleyn. But it wouldn't surprise me, because Henry VIII was extremely musical and loved music and songs, and of course he, at one point, loved Anne Boleyn.

I have read the letters they exchanged and they absolutely wonderful and so sweet, so just proved my point that he made this beautiful song for her, and even if it's not true, I choose not to believe it :D

In any case, this song and wonderful, so full of emotion, I think. I enjoy music a lot myself too and I think everyone has heard this melody somewhere.

If not, I leave you with the song below, just imagine you got a letter from the King saying all these wonderful things to you....what would you do?






See you next Monday!