29 May, 2017

MONDAY TRAVELS: THE BELL JAR by Sylvia Plath



Happy Monday friends!

So today we are in UNITES STATES OF AMERICA and we will explore:

THE BELL JAR




American writer Sylvia Plath:
Sylvia Plath (October 27, 1932 – February 11, 1963) was an American poet, novelist, and short story writer. Born in Boston, she studied at Smith College and Newnham College at the University of Cambridge before receiving acclaim as a poet and writer. She was married to fellow poet Ted Hughes from 1956 until they separated in September 1962. They lived together in the United States and then in England and had two children, Frieda and Nicholas. Plath was clinically depressed for most of her adult life, which was treated multiple times with electroconvulsive therapy (ECT). She committed suicide in 1963.



Description:

 Originally published under the pseudonym "Victoria Lucas" in 1963, the novel is semi-autobiographical, with the names of places and people changed. The book is often regarded as a roman à clef since the protagonist's descent into mental illness parallels Plath's own experiences with what may have been clinical depression. Plath died by suicide a month after its first UK publication. The novel was published under Plath's name for the first time in 1967 and was not published in the United States until 1971, in accordance with the wishes of both Plath's husband, Ted Hughes, and her mother. The novel has been translated into nearly a dozen languages. The novel, though dark, is often read in high school English classes.


Esther Greenwood is brilliant, beautiful, enormously talented, and successful, but slowly going under—maybe for the last time. In her acclaimed and enduring masterwork, Sylvia Plath brilliantly draws the reader into Esther's breakdown with such intensity that her insanity becomes palpably real, even rational—as accessible an experience as going to the movies. A deep penetration into the darkest and most harrowing corners of the human psyche, The Bell Jar is an extraordinary accomplishment and a haunting American classic.


Thoughts:

I have to say, there is something about Sylvia Plath's poetry. It just, speaks to me. Now I'm not saying I can identify with her, since she did suffer from a massive depression, however the way she puts her thoughts together, I just understand it.

I wanted to read The Bell Jar, since the moment I saw in in the movie 10 Thing I Hate About You. I remember going to the school library after I saw the movie and actually looking Sylvia Plath up. I

In university, I remember we had a whole course about her and I just felt like this book is calling me. It is however, a very emotional book, and I feel like I have to be prepared for it mentally. I have to admit, I am a little afraid of it. That it will affect me in the more negative way, but nonetheless, I think this book is a must read!

Let us know, if you read it yet!




See you next Monday!