02 May, 2017

REVIEW: A CONJURING OF LIGHT by V. E. Schwab

SPOILERS OF PREVIOUS BOOKS
Title: A Conjuring of Light
Author: V. E. Schwab
Series: A Darker Shade of Magic #3
Genres: YA, Fantasy
Publisher: Titan Books
Release: February 21st, 2017
Source: Kindle Edition
Pages: 666

Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon // 

BLURB: Witness the fate of beloved heroes - and enemies.

THE BALANCE OF POWER HAS FINALLY TIPPED...
The precarious equilibrium among four Londons has reached its breaking point. Once brimming with the red vivacity of magic, darkness casts a shadow over the Maresh Empire, leaving a space for another London to rise.

WHO WILL CRUMBLE?
Kell - once assumed to be the last surviving Antari - begins to waver under the pressure of competing loyalties. And in the wake of tragedy, can Arnes survive?

WHO WILL RISE?
Lila Bard, once a commonplace - but never common - thief, has survived and flourished through a series of magical trials. But now she must learn to control the magic, before it bleeds her dry. Meanwhile, the disgraced Captain Alucard Emery of the Night Spire collects his crew, attempting a race against time to acquire the impossible.

WHO WILL TAKE CONTROL?
And an ancient enemy returns to claim a crown while a fallen hero tries to save a world in decay.

EXPECTATIONS: Through the roof. Literally... my expectations were super high because I loved all Schwab's books I've read so far. All of them. She's one of my favorite authors.

THE WORLD: By now everyone knows the world. It's the same as in the other books but Black London is definitely a reality now.

CHARACTERS: Same characters as in the other books. Kell, my baby... oh how he suffered, well all of them suffer but I felt bad for Kell and Rhy. Can I just say that I love Kell and Rhy's brotherhood pact? Like, BROTP goals. Speaking of Rhy I have to say I really liked him in this book! In the other books sometimes he was a hit or miss but in this one I really liked him. Then we have the silver duo (because Kell and Rhy are the golden boys of course) Alucard and Lila. I also like them both in this book more than ever before, Alucard found the courage to fight for his love and Lila was a straight up badass the whole book. Gotta mention Holland, who I hated before... I never liked him but now knowing more of his story at least I could understand him a bit better and sympathize with him. On the other hand I wanted to kill Osaron every-single-time he appeared on the scene.
Special shout out to King Maxim and Queen Emira for sorting out their issues because they went completely rogue in A Gathering of Shadows and I was so confused and disappointed with them.

ROMANCE: Bless the ships! No triangles, no squares, no nothing. It was all set from the beginning and thank you very much! ALL THESE FEELS! <3

GOOD: What can I say? It started off by giving me a heart attack and since then it was like riding a rollercoaster without a seatbelt. My wig? Snatched. My soul? It left my body. There wasn't a moment or chapter I was bored with. This book was INTENSE. I don't want to do any spoilers but just know that I loved it very much.

BAD: I don't think I have anything bad to say about it. I mean... maybe... the only thing that was bad was MY CONSTANT HEART ATTACKS! How dare you Victoria?

But lowkey I left wondering what's Kell's background story... it wasn't resolved!

OVERALL: 5 stars and goes to favorites. This trilogy had me in shock the entire time and this last book was particularly painful. So many ups and downs! Oh my God give my poor heart a rest!



What do you think about A CONJURING OF LIGHT?