16 May, 2017

REVIEW: THE HANDMAID'S TALE by Margaret Atwood


Title: The Handmaid's Tale
Author: Margaret Atwood
Series: -
Genres: Fiction, Dystopian, Classic, Feminism
Publisher: Vintage Digital
Release: May 12th 2012
Source: Kindle
Pages:  370

// Goodreads /

BLURB:
Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead. She may leave the home of the Commander and his wife once a day to walk to food markets whose signs are now pictures instead of words because women are no longer allowed to read. She must lie on her back once a month and pray that the Commander makes her pregnant, because in an age of declining births, Offred and the other Handmaids are valued only if their ovaries are viable. Offred can remember the years before, when she lived and made love with her husband, Luke; when she played with and protected her daughter; when she had a job, money of her own, and access to knowledge. But all of that is gone now...



EXPECTATIONS: Margaret Atwood, is a wonderful writer. She is one of the inspirations, I draw from in my own writing. Her short story 'Death by Landscape' is one of my favorite stories of all time, and I cannot even express the love I have for that story. So going into this book I have to say, I was very high with my expectations, I wanted the same level of good writing as the short story. And boy did I go on a journey of emotions.

THE WORLD: The world is nothing like we know. It's set in a fictional near future world called Gilead, or what we would now know USA. The country has been taken over by religious fanatics, called 'Sons of Jacob' and after killing the Government, they changed the country. Basically, all women rights have been taken away, they have been made to literally slaves! They are not allowed to read and have these stupid pictures to understand what's what, they are not allowed to have an opinion, anything! Some more lucky ones are wives, others are maids, cleaners or handmaids whose number one job is to have babies for this messed up society. Men control everything, and everyone.

CHARACTERS: Our main character or narrator is Offred. Well her real name is June, but you see, since handmaid's are considered to be property of men, she is given the name of her 'owner' Fred, so quite literally she is Of - Fred. I mean I am getting angry even talking about this. In any case, Offfred is our hero and we follow her story and her life. We get to see her in the present time and in her past life, where she was married, worked and had a baby girl. As a handmaiden she has to wear red, and nothing else, she has to be obedient, and do what she is told. But we understand that Offred is smart, has a really good sense of humor and is strong! I liked her, she was different and it really seemed that she wanted to survive in this horrible world.

Another really important character I think, who honestly I didn't knew if he was good or bad was Nick. He worked as a driver for the same family Offred did. He was good to Offred and I liked that multiple times said how sorry he was that this was happening to her.

So the family Offred is a handmaid too is Fred (The Commandor) and Serena Joy. They are pretty high up in the society. I have to admit, I kind of understood the difficulty they all had to deal with. You see they had the handmaid because they couldn't consece a child, it might have been the Commandor's fault but in this society is was thought that only women are barren, so that's why they had Offred, and they had to do the 'ceremony' where...well....I guess you couldn't imagine what was done during the ceremony, between the three of them, so that Offred could get pregnant and do her 'duty'.

We also have other handmaid's for example Ofglen, a girl Offred be-friends, but who disappears.

ROMANCE: Well it's difficult to say. I mean we do have sort of a romance thing between Offred and Nick, and we get to see her with her husband, but love doesn't play a big part in this book believe me.

GOOD: I did like this book A LOT! But I was so angry reading it because you know what? I understood that this is not a fictional dystopia, with games or powers or anything, this is reality. The events in this good could easily happen today, now, to you and me and it made me scary and sad, and angry and hopeful that maybe the world won't go down this way.

BAD: The ending was a little confusing, but other than that. Nothing.

OVERALL: I would recommend this to anyone and everyone to read!


What do you think about THE HANDMAID'S TALE?