25 July, 2017

REVIEW: SABRIEL by Garth Nix


Title: Sabriel
Author: Garth Nix
Series: Abhorsen #1
Genres: High fantasy, Adventure, YA
Publisher: Harper Collins
Release: 1996
Source: Audiobook
Pages: 491

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB:
Sent to a boarding school in Ancelstierre as a young child, Sabriel has had little experience with the random power of Free Magic or the Dead who refuse to stay dead in the Old Kingdom. But during her final semester, her father, the Abhorsen, goes missing, and Sabriel knows she must enter the Old Kingdom to find him.

With Sabriel, the first installment in the Abhorsen series, Garth Nix exploded onto the fantasy scene as a rising star, in a novel that takes readers to a world where the line between the living and the dead isn't always clear—and sometimes disappears altogether.



EXPECTATIONS: I didn't really know of this book before I saw it on booktube. It was said to be some really good high fantasy and lately that was exactly what I was craving for. 

THE WORLD: Rather standard high fantasy world with multiple realms and magic. Basically the country has went downhill after the prince was corrupted and so our main character finds herself fighting the evil. She is also an abhorsen who is really a necromancer dealing with the dead. Basically because of corrupted kingdom the world is full of dead that harm the good people and abhorsen's job is to fight this dead. Also there can be only one abhorsen so when our main character's father who is an abhorsen goes missing she becomes the new abhorsen and has to save the kingdom. 

CHARACTERS: As the title of the book already indicated the main character is called Sabriel. She is just a normal teenager girl when we meet her. She goes to school to learn boring as well as magical things. She is also a necromancer but rather than just putting the dead to rest she can bring dead to life. I find it refreshing and really cool tbh. Also Sabriel herself is pretty likable character. For once I did not find myself frowning all the time, yes there were a few moments when I was, but mainly Sabriel was a character I would like to read about more in the future too. Then we have my favorite character called Mogget. He is a cat, tho in reality he is a very powerful magic bound to abhorsen and so takes a form of a cat. I found Mogget truly hilarious and just so cat like...Also I totally saw him as the cat from Alice in Wonderland. Equally crazy must say too. And annoying at some times, but like in a good way. I told you he is just such a poor catty cat! And the last character that we really get to know is Touchdown. Well it is not his real name, after being trapped as a nonhuman statue for man years Touchdown does not remember his own name. He does end up playing a very vital role in the story but I feel that if I tell you more about him I end up spoiling. 

ROMANCE: Unfortunately we get to suffer a little bit of that horrible written romance. I rather really this book had none and as many High Fantasy book just focused on world and adventure. But I guess you cannot have it all. So yeah, if you are a fan of romance I would say this book has a chunk of it. 

GOOD: The idea of necromancer aka abhorsen being the powerful and well respected wizard was definitely refreshing. It is also the main reason why I will be continuing with the story. I do admit it was not perfect but I think the world and especially Mogget are worth my time. 

BAD: As I mentioned already earlier romance felt silly and not necessary. I mean I don't have anything against love but in this story it really was a side line we had no need for. 

OVERALL: Despite a few flaws I would say this did not disappoint me. I mean yes it wasn't mind blowing as I expected but once again so few things are. So I personally will be continuing with the series in the near future!

What do you think about SABRIEL?

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment