27 July, 2017

REVIEW: THE VIRGIN SUICIDES by Jeffrey Eugenides



Title: The Virgin Suidices
Author: Jeffrey Eugenides
Series: -
Genres: Adult fiction, Contemporary
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing PL
Release: 2002
Source: Kindle
Pages: 250

// Goodreads /

BLURB: The haunting, humorous and tender story of the brief lives of the five entrancing Lisbon sisters, The Virgin Suicides, now a major film, is Jeffrey Eugenides's classic debut novel.


The shocking thing about the girls was how nearly normal they seemed when their mother let them out for the one and only date of their lives. Twenty years on, their enigmatic personalities are embalmed in the memories of the boys who worshipped them and who now recall their shared adolescence: the brassiere draped over a crucifix belonging to the promiscuous Lux; the sisters' breathtaking appearance on the night of the dance; and the sultry, sleepy street across which they watched a family disintegrate and fragile lives disappear.

EXPECTATIONS: I had seen the movie before in my early teenage years, so going in I knew what the book was going to be about, but actually it just made me want to read it even more!
THE WORLD: The plot is set in the 70's if I'm not mistaken, so the entire book has this old school vibe. I am currently, really into old school settings and just feeling and embracing the past, so I liked reading the descriptions, the entire feel of the book, the setting the language. There aren't a lot of places where this book takes place, basically: school, neighborhood, home.
CHARACTERS: The book circles around 5 Lisbon sisters: Mary, Bonnie, Therese, Lux and Cecelia. They are being raised in a very religious Catholic household, by their parents Mr. and Mrs. Lisbon (he is a teacher I think, she a homemaker). So basically, they are being raised very strictly, they are very overprotected and well honestly, controlled! I liked all the girls, as sisters they were very alike and different at the same time, which is actually usually true in siblings. I think my personal favorites where Bonnie or Mary just because they were a little more reserved. Lux was the rebel, the rule breaker, but I liked her as well for sure. I also liked Cecelia. We don't get to see her much as a character, but her diary, which is kind of read of in the book, serves as a book where the neighborhood boys learn more about them all.

The parents, I think were the typical over religious, over protective, over controlling parents, that didn't see how much they where just slowly killing their kids. I enjoyed reading about Lux and Trip as well.
ROMANCE: All around the book there are some romances, the most important one I think, if speaking about love love is between Lux and Trip.
GOOD: I like that this book points out the negative impact of raising your kids in a very demanding household is. I also liked how this book depicted the inner thoughts of the girls, the connection and the bond they had.
BAD: I actually can't think of any at the moment.



What do you think about THE VIRGIN SUICIDES?

0 comments:

Post a Comment