18 December, 2017

REVIEW: GONE WITH THE WIND by Margaret Mitchell


Title: Gone with the Wind
Author: Margaret Mitchell
Series: -
Genres: Classics, Romance, Historical Fiction
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Release: April 1st, 1999
Source: Paperback
Pages: 1037

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB:
Gone with the Wind is a novel written by Margaret Mitchell, first published in 1936. The story is set in Clayton County, Georgia, and Atlanta during the American Civil War and Reconstruction era. It depicts the struggles of young Scarlett O'Hara, the spoiled daughter of a well-to-do plantation owner, who must use every means at her disposal to claw her way out of the poverty she finds herself in after Sherman's March to the Sea. A historical novel, the story is a Bildungsroman or coming-of-age story, with the title taken from a poem written by Ernest Dowson. 


Gone with the Wind was popular with American readers from the onset and was the top American fiction bestseller in the year it was published and in 1937. As of 2014, a Harris poll found it to be the second favorite book of American readers, just behind the Bible. More than 30 million copies have been printed worldwide.

EXPECTATIONS: During my cinema classes in France, this movie was the main project for us, since we had to analyze and write a paper on it. So to just understand the movie more better I ended up reading the book, since the library in University in France was in-sa-ne! So I kind of knew what to expect having seen the movie.

THE WORLD: The plot takes place in 19th century America right on the brick of the Civil War and some time passed the war. So we get to see a lot of culture from those times. I have there were places that made this book very hard to read just nerve vise. But again, such things did happen and you can't ignore history I suppose. However, the world is very bright and bubbly and sweet at the beginning, very gloomy and dark in the middle and just sad at the end.

CHARACTERS: In all honesty, this book made a mark on me. I know I gave it only 4 stars but to tell you the truth, it was because I am in a love-hate relationship with the main character Scarlett O'Hara. She is the most spoiled, little minded woman I have ever read about. I wanted to slap her across the face so hard that her pretty smile would just bounce off of her pretty face. She was so annoying, so selfish and so stupid that I couldn't believe this is the great Scarlett O'Hara, people are making these comments about. However, she did change as the years went on, we do get to see the development she goes through, the struggle and difficulty she has to bare and how she takes care of the family and her servants. How she protects herself and the ones she love. So I liked that aspect about her. I truly do agree, there is no one else like Scarlett O'Hara.

The other protagonist is Rhett Butler, who is this chill guy, who goes through life without a care in the world, who challenges the world, who is enjoying life. He too was a little selfish at times, but I have to say, I liked him from the beginning. (Spoilers) The way he loved Scarlett, and his daughter was just so adorable!

We also have Melanie, Scarlett's cousin, whose life Scarlett just f****g ruined, because she was jealous Melanie was engaged to Ashley, the guy Scarlett  kind of liked or was in love with. I truly didn't understand if it was love or a game from Scarlett. I liked Melanie, she was down to earth. I liked Ashley too to same extend. I also liked Mammy, the nurse of Scarlett, she is a slave but honestly, no one treats her like a slave. Her word is important and everyone listens to her. I mean there is a lot of characters in this book, and some stayed with me some didn't, but all the characters were all very well written.

ROMANCE: Spoilers: Lets me try to explain this: Scarlett likes Ashley, Ashley is engaged to Melanie, Scarlett is jealous then marries Melanie's brother. Rhett is also interested in Scarlett, then a lot of things happen!!!!

GOOD: Pretty much everything, this book is really good I'm not gonna lie. It's long and you have to adjust your present day thinking to some things but in general it's amazing.

BAD: Scarlett's fickle character. Spoiled brat, nothing more! Also there was a scene between her and Rhett that I was shocked to read and see on screen and I think the book could have done without it.

OVERALL: In general go read this book, it was great!


What do you think about GONE WITH THE WIND?

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment