05 December, 2017

REVIEW: THE MOON DWELLERS by David Estes

Title: The Moon Dwellers
Author: David Estes
Series: The Dwellers #1
Genres: Science Fiction, YA
Publisher: 
Release: June 30th, 2012
Source: Kindle Edition
Pages: 369

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB: In a desperate attempt to escape destruction decades earlier, humankind was forced underground, into the depths of the earth, creating a new society called the Tri-Realms. 

After her parents and sister are abducted by the Enforcers, seventeen-year-old Adele, a member of the middle-class moon dwellers, is unjustly sentenced to life in prison for her parents' crimes of treason.

Against all odds, Adele must escape from the Pen and find her family, while being hunted by a deranged, killing machine named Rivet, who works for the President. She is helped by two other inmates, Tawni and Cole, each of whom have dark secrets that are better left undiscovered. Other than her friends, the only thing she has going for her is a wicked roundhouse kick and two fists that have been well-trained for combat by her father.

At the other end of the social spectrum is Tristan, the son of the President and a sun dweller. His mother is gone. He hates his father. Backed by only his servant and best friend, Roc, he leaves his lavish lifestyle in the Sun Realm, seeking to make something good out of his troubled life.

When a war breaks out within the Tri-Realms, Tristan is thrust into the middle of a conflict that seems to mysteriously follow Adele as she seeks to find her family and uncover her parents true past.

In their world, someone must die.

EXPECTATIONS: I didn't have any. I picked it up because I wanted to clean my TBR list... someone needs to clean it and that someone is me hehe I have too many books there.

THE WORLD: Pretty common post-apocalyptic world where people were forced to live underground after the super mega ultra war that took place (only in US of course). They made 3 levels underground, Tri-realms, depending on which class people were: we have the Sun dwellers (upper class), Moon Dwellers (middle class), and Star dwellers (lower class). People are governed by a President who is, of course, a Sun dweller.

CHARACTERS: Main character is a 17 year old Moon dweller called Adele whose story we start when she is in prison. Why, you wonder? Her parents were accused of treason so everyone in the family was put in jail. It makes no sense, I know. Adele is determined to find her family though (since they weren't imprisoned in the same place) and needs to come up with a escape plan. While she's thinking about it she meets Tawni and Cole, two other teenagers who are there with a much shorter sentence. Together they'll have to come up with a great escape plan. Now, this book has another POV and main character... meet Tristan, the son of the President, and his best friend/guardian Roc. Adele and Tristan make eye contact while she's in prison and he is touring around and something weird happens... well, let's say that's one of the mysteries.

ROMANCE: Oh here we are ugh I didn't like it. I can see where the story is going and I don't like it... wait no, let me rephrase, I don't like the way it is unraveling. It doesn't feel genuine. I don't know why but the romance was a big no no.

GOOD: I liked the characters the most. I like their POVs and internal thoughts. I wish there was a bit more background or story development with the secondary characters though. The ending was also pretty dynamic.

BAD: Hmm the story pace suffered from a big change... I was very into it in the beginning but approaching mid section (40%-70%) I started getting bored. It did pick up towards the end and I was able to enjoy it a lot again!

OVERALL: 3 stars. I've read other books from this author and he has better ones but this one was written quite early in his career and I can see the change in his plots and writing so kudos to that. The dystopian world was overused around 2012 "Hunger Games era" which I think also influenced me a bit because it's not anything new anymore. Despite this, it's not a bad book or series so I'm looking forward to reading the second book.


What do you think about THE MOON DWELLERS?


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment