02 January, 2018

REVIEW: ELDEST by Christopher Paolini


Title: Eldest
Author: Christopher Paolini
Series: The Inheritance Cycle #2
Genres: Fantasy, YA
Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf
Release: 2005
Source: Hardcover
Pages: 668

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB: Darkness falls... Swords clash... Evil reigns.

Eragon and his dragon, Saphira, have just saved the rebel state from destruction by the mighty forces of King Galbatorix, cruel ruler of the Empire. Now Eragon must travel to Ellesméra, land of the elves, for further training in magic and swordsmanship, the vital skills of the Dragon Rider. It is the journey of a lifetime, filled with awe-inspring new places and people, each day a fresh adventure. But chaos and betrayal plague him at every turn, and Eragon isn't sure whom he can trust.

Meanwhile, his cousin Roran must fight a new battle back home in Carvahall – one that puts Eragon in even graver danger.

Will the king's dark hand strangle all resistance? Eragon may not escape with even his life...

EXPECTATIONS: As it is a childhood book just like HP I didn't have any expectations and I still don't. I love this series.

THE WORLD: (Please refer to the explanation given on review of book 1, Eragon)

CHARACTERS: Same as in the first book but in this one we get to know more about Murtagh, who he is... his past... etc, and we also get to know Arya more. But we also get a whole new POV given by Roran, Eragon's cousin, and we have new characters such as Orik, the always loyal dwarf, Nasuada (just a little bit, she's more relevant in book 3) and Angela, the herbalist/fortune teller!

ROMANCE: Bits and pieces of romance. Specially on Roran's chapters.

GOOD: I feel like I'm going to repeat myself in every review of this series but I will say it as many times as needed; I love the world-building. I just love this world with all the fantasy creatures and dragons. DRAGONS.

I also love seeing character development and I think you can see very slow but noticeable development in every single book. You can see the characters grow up and become wiser.

BAD: Roran's chapters... oops I'm sorry but the first time I read the book I skipped all of his chapters because I was too anxious to know about Eragon (which is still the main story), then the second time I took the time to read his chapters just to know what actually happened in them and after that... I never read them again because I can't be bothered. Sorry Roran, nothing against you. I feel like those chapters slowed the whole book a lot.

OVERALL: You know what? Maybe objectively I should give it 4 stars since I like this book less than the first but subjectively... I can't because it's a childhood book and I still love it despite the minuses. So I'll give it 4.5 stars.

What do you think about ELDEST?

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment