08 March, 2018

REVIEW: A LINE IN THE DARK by Malinda Lo


Title: A Line in the Dark
Author:  Malinda Lo
Series: -
Genres: YA, LGBT, Romance
Publisher: Dutton Books for Young Readers
Release: October 17th 2017
Source: Audiobook
Pages: 288

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB:
Jess Wong is Angie Redmond’s best friend. And that’s the most important thing, even if Angie can’t see how Jess truly feels. Being the girl no one quite notices is OK with Jess anyway. While nobody notices her, she’s free to watch everyone else. But when Angie begins to fall for Margot Adams, a girl from the nearby boarding school, Jess can see it coming a mile away. Suddenly her powers of observation are more curse than gift.

As Angie drags Jess further into Margot’s circle, Jess discovers more than her friend’s growing crush. Secrets and cruelty lie just beneath the carefree surface of this world of wealth and privilege, and when they come out, Jess knows Angie won’t be able to handle the consequences.

When the inevitable darkness finally descends, Angie will need her best friend.

“It doesn’t even matter that she probably doesn’t understand how much she means to me. It’s purer this way. She can take whatever she wants from me, whenever she wants it, because I’m her best friend.”

A Line in the Dark is a story of love, loyalty, and murder.

EXPECTATIONS: This book was on my new releases of 2017 list mainly because of the cover and the fact that it features queer characters. 

THE WORLD: Would say very much like hours. Well it actually is just like ours but then we get into the inner circle of this fancy school girls that are 'above' everything and suddenly it gets very average movie like rather than real life. Needless to say I cared nothing for this fancy popular girls world.

CHARACTERS: The main character is Jess and even tho in the blurb it says she is in love with her best friend is it not true! She is absolutely obsessed with her best friend, I mean this is full on stalker we are talking about. Creepy as hell. I feel like author wanted to really underline how some friendships are about giving everything without taking anything back but I think somehow it all went into a very creepy direction. The tone of this book and how Jess talked about Angie...yeah nope. I rather be friendless than have a creep like Jess for a best friend. And then when bad thing happens the rest of the girls were so unrealistic. It felt like this whole Gossip Girl type of thing, remember what happened with Jenny or what her name? How they pretty much forced her to leave town? Yeah so this is the type of drama going on in this book too and the type of characters you get. 

ROMANCE: So Jess is in love with Angie and Angie falls for this new girl from fancy school. Frankly for me interesting thing was that both girls were actually queer and this is not what you usually see in media. I mean 99% of the time it is one person being straight and other queer one falling in love. But then again the actual love in this book...I don't know if you can even call it love. I mean I love my significant other very much and what I feel is really not what this book is calling love. 

GOOD: I really like the mystery of the cover to be honest. And I kinda did like that the main character was very creepy stalker. I mean I get it, it is very messed up but hey it is unique!

BAD: Pretty much everything else. It was so unrealistic and so flat. All the characters were super shallow and just the whole story line...nope just nope.

OVERALL: Do not recommend. I read it and I kinda regret wasting my time on it. It was just weird and sometimes even uncomfortable but most of the time you just find yourself rolling your eyes a lot. 

What do you think about A LINE IN THE DARK?

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment