07 May, 2018

MONDAY TRAVELS: I CRAVE YOUR MOUTH by Pablo Neruda



Happy Monday friends! Welcome to another edition of Monday Travels

So today we are in Chile and we will explore:

I CRAVE YOUR MOUTH


Let's get to know Pablo Neruda:
Pablo Neruda  (born Ricardo Eliécer Neftalí Reyes Basoalto, July 12, 1904 – September 23, 1973) was a poet and a diplomat. Neruda became known as a poet when he was 10 years old. He wrote in a variety of styles, including surrealist poems, historical epics, overtly political manifestos, a prose autobiography, and passionate love poems. During his lifetime, Neruda occupied many diplomatic positions and served a term as a Senator for the Chilean Communist Party. He later went into exile with his wife as the president threatened to arrest him. In his lifetime he received Nobel Prizes for both Peace and Literature.



Poem:

I crave your mouth, your voice, your hair.
Silent and starving, I prowl through the streets.
Bread does not nourish me, dawn disrupts me, all day
I hunt for the liquid measure of your steps.

I hunger for your sleek laugh,
your hands the color of a savage harvest,
hunger for the pale stones of your fingernails,
I want to eat your skin like a whole almond.

I want to eat the sunbeam flaring in your lovely body,
the sovereign nose of your arrogant face,
I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes,

and I pace around hungry, sniffing the twilight,
hunting for you, for your hot heart,
like a puma in the barrens of Quitratue.


Thoughts:

Forgive me my fellow readers, for doing Neruda again, but at the moment, I am battling a very difficult battle.

The battle of the heart, and for some reason, Neruda's poems are the only ones that know what I'm feeling. Do you know what I mean? Like you walk the streets with this hole in your body, and you want to scream, and scream and scream, but all you do is stand still and then you hear words and they express exactly how you feel.

And suddenly it's not so difficult anymore.

See you next Monday!


0 comments:

Post a Comment